• Welcome to BradleyFans.com! Visitors are welcome, but we encourage you to sign up and register as a member. It's free and takes only a few seconds. Just click on the link to Register at the top right of the page, and follow instructions. If you have any problems or questions, click on the link at the bottom right of the page to Contact Us.

Marmol out as Cubs' closer (what's next?)

sousaman2089

New member
Since his WHIP has blown up, Carlos Marmol has been removed from closer. With Kerry Wood and Sean Marshall being a good platoon, I've heard many a Cub fan who wants to trade him.

Just a simple question for you Cub fans; who DON'T and who DO you want to see traded from the Cubs?

I, Cardinals fan, am very jealous of the duo of Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney and think Garza is a classic second or third starter that should stay. But anyone else???? I don't even know.
 
I am somewhat of a Cubs fan. I have watched very little this year though. Castro is the only one I would not trade. Second would be Gio Soto. He is young enough and catchers are hard to find. But only Castro is non tradeable. I would love to trade Barney because I don't think he will have this good of year again.

I know some players like Aramis Ramirez may cost more to trade than keep. Other than that trade everyone for minor league players. or people 25 and under. It will be 2-3 years at the earliest till they can compete anyway. Start over. And replace Jim Hendri.
 
Looks like the major league hitters are finally wising up and taking his sinker instead of swinging. As a Sox fan, I'm getting tired of all of their hitters swinging at pitches in the dirt. Know it's easy to say, but I'm not making millions to be a major league hitter.
 
Carlos Marmol doesn't throw a sinker. His mechanics are way off right now. He needs some extra bullpen work to get his release point back.

When he's on, there is no one less hittable than Marmol. I don't know his contract details but it doesn't make sense to trade him when he cannot even throw strikes. Therefore look for Hendry to trade Marmol because he is the best I've ever seen at selling low. Really not sure how Hendry still is employed.
 
Carlos Marmol doesn't throw a sinker. His mechanics are way off right now. He needs some extra bullpen work to get his release point back.

When he's on, there is no one less hittable than Marmol. I don't know his contract details but it doesn't make sense to trade him when he cannot even throw strikes. Therefore look for Hendry to trade Marmol because he is the best I've ever seen at selling low. Really not sure how Hendry still is employed.

I call it a sinker because it breaks down. Used to be called a drop in fast pitch softball. Call it a curve, slider, or whatever you want but it sure isn't straight.
 
I, Cardinals fan, am very jealous of the duo of Starlin Castro and Darwin Barney and think Garza is a classic second or third starter that should stay. But anyone else???? I don't even know.

I am going to admit to still being a Cubs fan, and I very much agree with this part of your post. Unless a better second baseman is available to the Cubs, I would build the future team around Castro, Barney, and pitching with a free agent acquisition or two in the off-season. I would also keep Soto for the reasons mentioned in this thread. I would have no problems trading Ramirez, Fukudome, Byrd, and Zambrano. For the most part, these trades would be addition by subtraction. Of the players mentioned with possible trades, I think Zambrano may get some type of decent players in return. I have read reports that teams are scouting Soriano as a DH for a possible trade, but I will believe that when I see it.




Carlos Marmol doesn't throw a sinker. His mechanics are way off right now. He needs some extra bullpen work to get his release point back.

When he's on, there is no one less hittable than Marmol. I don't know his contract details but it doesn't make sense to trade him when he cannot even throw strikes. Therefore look for Hendry to trade Marmol because he is the best I've ever seen at selling low. Really not sure how Hendry still is employed.

I have never liked Marmol. For over a year, I was hoping against hope that the Cubs would trade Marmol while his value was high. Cubs fans would give me the stats about how good Marmol is, but I have thought that Marmol tends to overthrow and struggles with his mechanics very easily. I think that Marmol could be a very good set-up man, but lacks what it takes to be a closer at the MLB level on a consistent basis. IMO, it is too late to trade Marmol now unless he reverts back to his form for a while.
 
Back
Top